There are many benefits to builders and home buyers from energy efficient homes.
The benefits to you the builder are:
• Reaching a higher level of quality for your homes
• Greater energy efficiency
• Recognition for participation in energy efficiency programs
• Reduction in comfort complaint calls
• Expanded pool of potential homebuyers
The benefits to your homebuyers are:
• The ability to qualify for more home with their income dollars
• Lower utility costs
• Higher resale value
• Increased comfort
*EEM recognizes that energy efficient homes cost homeowners less to operate on a monthly basis than standard homes because they use less energy. Home buyers who choose energy efficient homes can afford to spend more on their mortgage loan because they will likely spend less on their energy costs. With an EEM the estimated energy savings are added to the borrower’s income to allow the home buyer to qualify for a larger total mortgage amount. Also, by increasing borrowing power, the EEM allows borrowers to include the costs of energy improvements into the total mortgage amount. 100% of the energy improvements, typically up to 15% of the value of the home, can be financed and paid for over the life of the mortgage, reserving the borrower’s cash for more immediate, move-in costs. Lastly, the value of the home is adjusted by the value of the energy efficient improvements.